I waste a lot of time trying to successfully install the Android Debug Bridge (ADB) driver for my tablet in Windows 8.1. So here I will post what I did, in case anyone has the same problem.
If Windows fails to enumerate the device which is reported in Device Manager as error code 43:
If the device is listed in Device Manager as Other devices -> Android but reports an error code 28:
- Restart the computer (very important)
- Go to Device Manager, find the Android device, and select Update Driver Software
- Select Browse my computer for driver software
- Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
- Select ADB Interface from the list
- Select SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface (this is a signed driver). If you get a warning, select Yes to continue.
By doing this I was able to use my tablet for development under Windows 8.1.
Note: This solution uses Samsung drivers but works for other devices.